What Stirlescent® tablets are and what they are used for
Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets contain the drug naproxen. Naproxen is known as a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug or NSAID.
Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets can lessen pain and inflammation and is used in adults and adolescents aged 18 upwards to treat:
- Pain in your muscles, joints and tendons like strains, gout, arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
- Period pain
Do not take Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets
- If you are allergic to naproxen or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6 of the package leaflet)
- If you are allergic to aspirin or other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or diclofenac
- If you have a peptic ulcer (ulcer in your stomach or duodenum) or bleeding in your stomach or have had two or more episodes of peptic ulcers, stomach bleeding or perforation
- If you have previously experienced bleeding or perforation of your stomach while taking any NSAID e.g. ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen
- If you have severe problems with your kidneys, liver or heart
- If you are in the last 3 months of pregnancy
If any of the above apply to you then do not take this medicine. If you are not sure or have any questions please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you experience any of the following at any time during your treatment STOP taking the medicine immediately and consult a doctor urgently
- Passing blood in your stools
- Passing black, tarry stools
- Vomiting blood or dark particles that look like coffee grounds
If you experience the following please consult your doctor at the earliest opportunity before taking any more of the medicine
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Pains in your stomach or other abnormal stomach symptoms
Take special care with Stirlescent® effervescent tablets
- If you have heart problems or have had a stroke, or if you think that you might be at risk of these conditions (because, for example, you have high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol or you are a smoker) you should discuss your treatment with your doctor or pharmacist.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you have any of the following:
- Asthma or allergies (e.g. hay fever)
- Problems with your kidneys or liver
- Your blood does not clot normally
- Too much fat in your blood
- Problems with blood vessels (arteries) anywhere in your body.
- An autoimmune condition such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) (causes joint pain, swelling, skin rashes and fever) and colitis or Crohn’s disease (conditions causing inflammation of the bowel, bowel pain, diarrhoea, vomiting and weight loss).
Children and adolescents
This medicine must not be used by anyone under 18 years of age.
Taking other medicines with Stirlescent 250mg effervescent tablets
Before taking Stirlescent® tablets please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines. This includes medicines that you may have purchased without a prescription, including herbal medicines.
There are a number of specific medicines that your doctor or pharmacist must be aware of if you are taking any of these before starting to take Stirlescent® tablets. Please talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the medicines listed in section 2 of the patient information leaflet that is included with the pack of medicine. It is important that you read this leaflet before starting to take Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets. A link to the patient information leaflet is provided from this website (see below).
If you are not sure if Stirlescent® can be taken with any of your medicines then please speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Pregnancy, breast-feeding and fertility
Do not take this medicine if you are in the last 3 months of pregnancy, as it can harm your baby.
Talk to your doctor, before taking this medicine, if you are in the first 6 months of pregnancy, think you are pregnant, plan to get pregnant or are breast-feeding. Your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits of taking the medicine in these circumstances.
This medicine may make it more difficult for you to become pregnant. Please discuss with your doctor if you are planning to become pregnant or if you are having problems becoming pregnant whilst taking this medicine.
Driving and using machinery
This medicine may cause tiredness, dizziness or blurred vision. If affected, do not drive or operate any machinery.
How to take Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets
Dissolve 1 to 2 tablets in a glass (150ml) of water and drink. Doses of 3 tablets should be dissolved in 300ml of water. To make sure that there is no medicine left, rinse the empty glass with a small amount of water and drink it. This medicine should be taken with or after food.
Muscle, joint or tendon pain and period pain – Starting dose is 2 tablets followed by a tablet every 6 – 8 hours as needed.
Arthritic conditions – The usual dose is between 2 – 4 tablets daily and the dose should be split in two and taken twice daily (morning and evening, after food).
Gout – The starting dose is 3 tablets followed by a tablet every 8 hours as needed.
If you take more Stirlescent 250mg effervescent tablets than you should
Consult your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible.
Possible side effects
There are a number of reported side effects but not everyone will get these. The major side effects are listed in the patient information leaflet that is provided with the pack of medicine. Please read this list carefully. Please pay particular attention to the possible serious side effects listed below where you should stop taking the tablets and consult your doctor as soon as possible –
Serious stomach or gut problems – blood in the vomit, or bits that look like coffee grounds. Black sticky bowel motions, upset stomach, stomach pain, fever, nausea or vomiting. Severe stomach pain spreading to your back. Flare up of colitis or Crohn’s disease.
Allergic reactions – Sudden swelling of your throat, face, hands or feet. Difficulty breathing or tightness of the chest. Skin rashes, blisters or itching.
Severe skin rashes – Severe rash that appears suddenly with blisters, peeling skin and possibly blisters in the mouth and throat. Fever, headache and cough may occur at the same time.
Liver problems – Yellowing of the skin with tiredness, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting.
Heart attack – Chest pain spreading to the neck and shoulders and left arm.
Stroke – Weakness on one side of the body. Altered sense of taste and smell, hearing, vision, confusion.
Meningitis – Fever, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, headache and sensitivity to bright light.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any side effects not listed in the leaflet that is provided with the medicine. You can also report side effects directly via – Yellow Card Scheme – www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
By reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
How to store Stirlescent® 250mg effervescent tablets
Keep the tablets stored in the plastic tube with the lid firmly closed. Do not use the medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the pack. Keep tablets out of the sight and reach of children. If you need to dispose of medicine then please return the medicine to any pharmacy. Do not throw away medicines via wastewater or household waste.
Further information including the full list of ingredients is contained in the package leaflet.